During the 2015 Chicago Auto Show, we had the opportunity sit down with Bill Wallace, GM’s director of global battery systems, and discuss a bit about the 2016 Chevrolet Volt and how batteries are going to be an increasingly integral part of the automotive industry. More on that later, however.
In our interview, we brought up the “T” word. “T” standing for Tesla Motors, owned by firebrand billionaire Elon Musk. And while we are of the take that Tesla and GM products don’t exactly compete toe-to-toe, it was interesting to hear Wallace’s take on the company. And while he acknowledges the engineering prowess that went into building the Tesla Model S, General Motors has no intention of using the California company’s now-openly-sourced patented technologies currently.
Ultimately, General Motors plans on being an EV frontrunner in its own way, as Wallace pointed to the fact that GM itself holds the most “green” patents of any automaker. It could be sheer stubbornness that GM chooses not to use Tesla patents in good faith, or it could just as well be that GM has enough resources and technology to create something that’s even better than a Tesla in the future.
GM Authority is looking for professional automotive journalists with at least three years of experience to join our rapidly-growing team. We pay between $60,000 and $80,000 per year. More details here.
— GM Authority Staff
The GM Authority staff is comprised of columnists, interns, and other reporters who provide coverage of the latest General Motors news.
- Is it normal to be jealous
- Do humans hunt blue whales
- How good is Pakistani movie industry
- What make the Golden Gate Bridge special
- How do you rationalize making unethical choices
- What is the etymology of “idiom”
- Can mechanical engineers work in cyber security
- What food did pioneers eat
- Which breeds of dog should be exterminated
- Can a very successful person become unsuccessful
- Why are drums important in jazz groups
- Is kebab a good food
- Do screenwriters get typecast
- What is life like in Venezuela?no_redirect=1
- Will college grades matter after graduate school
- How often do you meditate
- Aromatic amine are basic in nature Why
- What does this fall mean in English
- What are some best thriller erotic movies